Monday 10 December, 2007

Hair I am..this is me!


Some people can go to any lengths to get a job done right.

Yes, I am speaking about myself. Over the past few months, I’ve made
a fairly good mark in advertising. My boss, however, would prefer calling it a dent in advertising. I’d learned the ropes of the trade and was willing to handle any Kingfisher Swimsuit Calendar Assignments.

Although I appeared a perfectionist, deep down I realized that to be a successful Copywriter, there was still one area of improvement – Long Hair.

Yes, I’d seen it on T.V. All the great ad-men whom I idolized had long hair – Prahalad kakkar and umm…there is... whatsisname…. Never mind. Even our ex-President Abdul Kalam had long hair. Not to mention our current President Mrs. Pratibha Patil.

So, two months back I bid adieu to the barber’s clipper and embarked on a mission of epidermis proportion. Cost-cutting on haircuts only to comb the funds for shampoo and hair-oil.

Move over Rapunzel, this is my Hairy-tale.

Seeing my long-locks, concerned friends asked me “Why?” and I replied “Why Knot?”. Some even commented they resembled Sallu from "Tere Naam
". It takes a person of strong will power to control the urge of yanking his own hair on hearing such profanity.

The family, however, was a pillar of support - My mom, jubilant, that her son would carry the legacy of Prajapati women - their hairloom. My brother said I’d never looked so mane-ly. And dad was proud of me for finally putting my head to some good use.

But I was doing this only for the love of advertising. Here are some excerpts of a future job interview conjured in my hairy head:
----------
Ad-Guru – I don’t see much in your portfolio but I see volumes of potential in your head.

Hair-boy – Thank you, Sir. I am willing to get to the root of any issue.

(The Ad-Guru proceeds to measure the hair length with a measuring tape)

Ad-Guru – I am sorry but your hair length is 2 inches short of our requirement. Please try again after 2 months.

(Hair-boy rejected but not dejected goes for the next interview to – a Rock Band!)
------------

As I said in the beginning, “some people can go to any lengths to get a job done right”. In my case, it is the length of my hair. If you are a true friend, don’t ridicule me for this blog. Rather, recommend a good hair-conditioner.

6 comments:

Swati said...

ToniandGuy shampoos are now available in Hyderabad Mehulp.. at Kathiawar Stores.. slightly expensive but then.. wtf.. cant use crap huh!

Try "Moisture Injection" shampoo for the dry winters! :P

Anonymous said...

The great ages of prose are the ages in which men shave; the great ages of poetry are those in which they allow their beards to grow. Call it a terrible tangle of mysterious prejudices; It makes you one of of the most admired pub(l)ic personalities who leave an impression of all sorts! WTG Prajapati khandaan ki bemisaal "bal" veer !

Priyadarshi said...

Chehul...looks like ur defying history and expecting a fairy tale ending to ur hairy tale..lemme proceed to break ur illusion..flowing tresses are no better than spanish mistresses...just when u think u own them completely...they desert u like rats on a sinking ship..(BTW, if u've figured out that this analogy is actually a case of the jackal exclaiming "the grapes are sour" - ur a much smarter man than I thought)..whew !!

Unknown said...

Very very well written Mehul :-) Oh, btw, did I tell you - you look ape-solutely gorgeous with those long locks! I am totally with you on your hair-growing mission - the mantra being - grow them while you still have hair to grow ;-)

And Puhhleeezzz make sure you follow a good hair-care routine....Anybody not giving their bangs the right amount of attention are generally left with no option except setting them on fire eventually... ;-)

Yamini said...

Hmm Luv your hair and ur blog..

Did u really see nothing but the eye? said...

Hilarious!!!!!
Was laughing my way through this one :D

like they say janaab, Wah Wah Mukarrar!