Saturday 30 June, 2007

The truth shall set you free!

The truth shall set you free…

Now I don’t know if that was the reason but 29th of June 07 was the day IVY set a bunch of its employees free. To put it in a nutshell, the reason stated in the pink slip inferred - Meltdown of operations in one of its strategic locations. The company, on its part, was kind enough to have given the notice 6 months in advance.

And so we came on that fateful (fruitful - monetarily speaking) day to receive the golden handshake. A big queue outside the manager’s office greeted visitors, assuring that employees were just as eager to be fired as the company was to fire them. An even bigger queue of men gathered near the admin. office where a couple of pretty girls from Red Bull were handing out free drinks – Boys will be boys! Petite girls handing free drinks are usually more beckoning than portly bosses handing farewell letters.

“Hi, I’m thirsty”, I introduced myself; hoping to get a free red bull.
Miss Venezuela smiled, handed a drink and said, “If you are thirsty- drink water. If you are hungry- eat. If you need energy- drink red bull.” She could have won the miss world title with a statement like that.
“As long as it’s free, I’ll take all the energy you’ve got.” I chuckled to myself.
“Do you have any questions?” she enquired as I took a gulp. Your number I thought but answered her with a polite “No, thanks.”

Later, I went into one of the rooms to handover the company stationery. Took a last look at my picture on the ID/swipe card and wondered - God hadn’t just blessed me financially. That picture could sell for a lot on eBay. The HR lady, collecting the stuff, thought otherwise as she flung the ID card into a box with other merchandise. As you’d guess, business acumen was not one of her skill sets.

I joined a few friends trying to navigate within the office minus the ID card. It seemed the only doors that didn’t require access card were the loo (A critical loophole in understanding efficient time management).

Completing the legal formalities, I felt like a brand new divorcee receiving the alimony. All I could think was – yipeeeeee!!!

Before leaving, I paid Miss Venezuela another visit to quench my thirst (for red bull, of course!!). Also, she had a target to meet and I intended to help her reach it (Noble deed, nah??). I got another red bull, no number. (Pretty girls with red lipstick usually render men speechless...ok,ok I am a sissy!)

Oh pray that I be blessed with a job soon or ye continued to be cursed with more such blogs!

On a hind sight, it was great to have worked in a beautiful company in the company of beautiful people. Driving out of the office parking, I glanced through the rear view mirror at the office building and wondered – The circus will not be the same without the jokers!

7 comments:

Swati said...

hmmm feel weird when i go bac there is not going to be an Ivy for me.. hmm well its going tob e there but like u said 'The circus will not be the same without the jokers!'lol
ok i was just wondering..do u need the number for the red bull girl? the one with red lipstick? i have a friend who works for Red bull! :>

Mehul said...

Thnx Swati, you're a real friend, aren't u. But Miss Venezuela will be just like ivy for me...Sweet Memories :)

Swati said...

boring boring boring mehul P!
sweet memories are very Mills and Boons - get real!!!! get her number and call her!

Priyadarshi said...

Mehul P will call her up, he most definitely will.
And in his own charming way enquire when & where she'll be handing out free Red Bull cans again
Yes Sir, if it's about calling her up, he most definitely will - & tht's all I gotta say about my gud friend Mehul P

meetkv said...

At first the page dint load. I did a shut down and restart. And here I am.

So it works and will mention on my CV if it does.

Wait a minute I am not supposed to comment anything on IVY and your thoughts on it. I am still milking the OX. Let me finish it and come bak.

Indira said...

Dude r u in a job or are we still cursed with blogs like this.... juss kidding ..

Anonymous said...

Great work.